Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wanted: Land

I went to a "Food as Classics" seminar this weekend...very inspiring. We talked for two days about planting gardens. I am desperate to own a piece of land of my own where I can grow my own food, raise my own chickens, pull weeds at dawn. I want to eat squash from my backyard, feel the sadness of a lost crop, figure out good bugs and bad bugs, can hundreds of jars of tomatoes, baby an apple tree, pray for rain and really know why...

History has proven that a nation without a Georgic (geo=earth, ergo=work) people loses its freedom. Why? less reliance on Providence, little understanding of the Law of the Harvest, less independence and more independents...just to name a few. The U.S. Census Bureau doesn't even account for small family farms anymore because they are so few in number.

I'm not touting that everyone needs to quit their job and start farming. I believe the principles of Georgics can be taught in other ways. However, I am saying that we need to be more connected to our food source--in whatever way that means...supporting your local farmers, joining a CSA, starting a CSA, planting your own garden, not letting the grocery store be your source of education on food. I truly think this is basic to our freedom.

Plus, dirt is tasty.

I'm slightly passionate about this idea. If you want to know more about Georgics principles, check out "The Four Lost American Ideals" by Oliver DeMille. You can find an audio version online.

No comments: