Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowmageddon 2010

Another awesome name for a storm.

It was a little exciting to be stuck inside while we were pounded with two feet of snow. It's a nice feeling to know that all of your friends and neighbors are also stuck inside--maybe catching up on some very needed time at home. For a very busy city, it's probably good that it's forced to slow down once in a while.

And then about halfway through, we started hearing from friends who had lost their power and were freezing in their homes. The church was contacting members to see if they needed a ride to someone's house with power. My roommate's sister and family finally made it to a friend's house after a frigid night with two little toddlers.

All the sudden this nice little reprieve felt like a disaster. We started preparing ourselves in any way we could for a power outage--gathering emergency candles, flashlights, blankets, etc. Thankfully, we never lost our power, but 80,000 people are still without.


Twenty-three inches later, we trekked out of our house to see the results of Snowmageddon. It felt like we were at a ski resort. Tons of people were out shoveling their walks or pulling their kids on sleds or just walking around. It was a bit magical.




Now they're predicting another storm tomorrow that could bring 10-20 inches. As I was thinking about that and shoveling our walks this morning, I almost cried. I won't be able to get my car out for days because no plows come into our alleyway. Also, shoveling is really hard work. And we could still lose our power. And there's at least another ten inches on its way?

I can't wrap my mind around all of it right now.

But something tells me I would feel a lot better if Dad were here.

1 comment:

susie said...

I like your last comment. I would feel better if he were there too. That big tractor comes in handy sometimes! That has been quite the storm! ( storms I should say)